Google
 

Monday, August 20, 2007

Teenage tanning

Listening to my 17 year old cousin talk this weekend, I realized that, even thought it was not that long ago for me, I had forgotten some of the concerns teenagers have. She talked about how my prettier her friend was that her, because of her "beautiful, golden brown" skin. She made the comment, "I have to get in the tanning bed." I don't think she or teenagers realize the health risk related to tanning. I as her, and she did not. She ask me was the tanning bed safer than natural sunlight.

The answer is no. There is no safe tan. Exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation — whether from sunlight or tanning beds — damages your skin, increasing your risk of skin cancer and premature skin aging. In fact, malignant melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, has seen a sharp rise in recent years, perhaps due to the increased exposure to UV radiation from both the sun and tanning beds.

You can prevent skin damage by limiting your exposure to UV radiation and by using a broad-spectrum sunscreen. If you want the golden glow of a tan without exposure to damaging UV radiation, consider using sunless tanning products or bronzers. Keep in mind, however, many of these products do not contain sunscreen and won't protect you from UV radiation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me see if I can help you a bit on this topic?

For the truth about tanning, Vitamin D and UV exposure you really should read more, I suggest www.uvtalk.com as a place to start.

Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

baseless nonsense. did you know that breatheing causes lung cancer?

Better stop it or else!

People are so stupid these days.

Weight Master said...

No need to get rude or defensive. I'm not requiring or even asking anyone to stop tanning. I'm merely stating facts. If you don't want to listen, then don't, but I'm not stupid because I'm conscience of the risk of tanning. I even attempt to keep a tan, but I'm aware of the risk. Come on now, there's no need in these immature, name-calling comments.

Anonymous said...

Excuse me. There isn't ONE FACT ON THERE.

What fact? How about the FACT that there is more cancer including SKIN in higher altitudes and less in sunnier altitudes?

Here's a fact for you, since the introduction of SPF creme ALL CANCERS AND ILLNESSES HAVE GONE UP.

That's a FACT.

My problem is when people use "wives' tales" as "FACT" and have zero SCIENCE to back it up other than what you hear on the brainwashing of TV.

Why don't you do some real investigating on this instead of the same old nonsense?

How about how tanning is the best thing you can do for acne?
What's the side effects of the alternative that is ACUTANE?

SUICIDE, LOSS OF HAIR, INSANITY.

Is that what you'd consider a "safe alternative"?

Weight Master said...

First of all, I'm not on here to argue ridiculous points with Mr./Mrs./Ms. "anonymous", just ask any doctor. I'm not downing anyone for tanning, so I have no idea why you're so offended. I do it. Just take precautions, and don't think you have to have golden skin to be great and beautiful. Calm down "anonymous". You don't have to listen if you don't wish to. I'm not making you.

 
ss_blog_claim=51ab54e6da4e6705370670cdeef8e8a3